We're always looking for awesome PHP Software Engineers
As part of our quest for global domination, Gecko are growing our awesome Engineering Teams and are looking for an Engineer particularly skilled in PHP and Laravel to join our events product team. Someone who wants to be part of a brilliant, forward-thinking team focussed on putting the latest innovation in the hands of our growing list of university clients. Know anyone 👀
Our events products are used by the world's best-known Universities. Events are integral to how they attract students to study with them - with Gecko they can reduce the stress and labour by automating marketing, simplifying the setup, and delivering a better experience for students - it's a real game-changer, especially in this new virtual world!
As a Gecko Software Engineer, a typical day will include a blend of:
- #1 Development work - designing and implementing low-latency, high availability and performant software,
- Contributing to our Agile ceremonies across two-week sprint cycles,
- Addressing technical problems, sharing knowledge of how to design features around our codebase across the team,
- Collaborating with others, including different areas of the business, to ensure the quality of our products.
In terms of experience, we’re open to mid - senior-level applicants but need someone who is experienced in these technologies to be able to design and develop new features, maintain code and, of course, fix bugs (they happen!), as well as becoming a Gecko codebase expert.
The hard skills needed:
- Extensive software development experience and expertise (this isn’t your first rodeo!)
- Deep understanding of PHP and practical ability.
- Excellent hands-on programming knowledge, working with PHP frameworks such as Laravel and/or Lumen, and React and/or React Native.
- Proven AWS understanding and application – you know you’re way around here!
- Hands-on experience working with both serverless & microservices.
- You’re all over unit and integration testing.
- You have a true appreciation for Active Record, Data Mapping and Event Sourcing.
- Able to work with Docker and container orchestration tools (not essential)
- Feature design experience, such as writing acceptance criteria and story point estimation (not essential)
- Agile experience, such as Scrum, and familiarity with ceremonies like Stand-up & Retrospective (not essential)
- Confident with Testing, namely an understanding of the importance of comprehensive and intelligent testing, BDD, TDD and automated testing (not essential)
- Able to support team growth and mentor junior team members (not essential)
- Encountered continuous integration and continuous delivery (not essential)
Our Engineering Team also made a ‘Wish List’ describing the qualities of their new Gecko 🦎 does this sound familiar?:
- Curious & creative - someone who likes to experiment (failing fast and learning faster means that making mistakes isn’t a bad thing).
- Opinionated, yet open-minded.
- Growth-oriented and loves to learn new things.
- Passionate about great code and good practice – someone who geeks out over awesome craftmanship.
- Outcome-oriented (JFDI)
- A Dissenter! Someone who isn't afraid to break from the norm and challenge us to improve.
- A collaborator who loves to work closely with their team-mates on interesting problems.
- Ambitious and driven – someone wants to grow personally and professionally with their team and company.
Sound like you? Keep reading to learn about the nice bits about working for Gecko and how to apply…
- Competitive Salary
- MacBook & your choice of headphones
- Pension Scheme
- 28 days Holiday (plus 4 days gifted at Christmas and New Year)
- Birthday off
- Flexible working
- EMI Share Option Scheme (after qualifying length of service)
- EAP, plus employee discounts & benefits via Perkbox
- Remote working & home office setup
- Work with some of the best in the biz
- You can find out more about working with us here
If all of this excites you then you may be our next Gecko 🎉
To get started on your Gecko journey, simply click ‘Apply’… We can’t wait to meet you!
NB. Successful applicants will be subject to complete a video-questionnaire and coding challenge as part of the recruitment process
We can only accept applications from UK-based applicants who already have a valid right to work in the UK.
Agencies, we kindly ask that you read this Hiring Notice before getting in touch.