We're always looking for talented Java Developers 👀
At Gecko, we're always on the look out for ambitious and talented Java Developers (Geckos). Our awesome SaaS products provide the smartest solutions to common challenges faced in the Higher Education sector and are used by the world's best-known Universities. To ensure we continue to put the latest innovation in the hands of our growing list of university clients, we welcome applications from Java Geniuses with solid experience under their belt, who want to be part of a brilliant, forward-thinking and growing team.
As a Gecko Software Engineer, a typical day may include a blend of:
- #1 Development work - designing and implementing low-latency, high availability and performant software,
- Contributing to our Agile ceremonies across two-week sprint cycles,
- Addressing technical problems, sharing knowledge of how to design features around our codebase across the team,
- Collaborating with others, including different areas of the business, to ensure the quality of our products,
- Growing with the team and business and being a master of your own destiny!
In terms of experience, we’re open to the right Gecko(s), but you need to be experienced at designing and developing new features, maintaining code and, of course, fixing bugs (they happen!), as well as becoming a Gecko codebase expert.
The hard skills needed:
- Extensive software development experience and expertise (this isn’t your first rodeo!)
- Deep understanding of Java and practical ability.
- Excellent hands-on programming knowledge - our tech stack ranges from PHP frameworks such as Laravel and/or Lumen, to React and/or React Native, to Node,js.
- Proven AWS understanding and application – you know you’re way around here!
- Hands-on experience working with both serverless & microservices.
- You’re all over unit and integration testing.
- You have a true appreciation for Active Record, Data Mapping and Event Sourcing.
- Agile experience, such as Scrum, and familiarity with ceremonies like Stand-up & Retrospective
- Able to work with container orchestration tools (not essential)
- Feature design experience, such as writing acceptance criteria and story point estimation (not essential)
- Confident with Testing, namely an understanding of the importance of comprehensive and intelligent testing, BDD, TDD and automated testing (not essential)
- Able to support team growth and mentor junior team members (not essential)
- Encountered continuous integration and continuous delivery (not essential)
Our Engineering Team have a ‘Wish List’ describing the qualities of their new Gecko 🦎 does this sound familiar?:
- Curious & creative - someone who likes to experiment (failing fast and learning faster means that making mistakes isn’t a bad thing).
- Opinionated, yet open-minded.
- Growth-oriented and loves to learn new things.
- Passionate about great code and good practice – someone who geeks out over awesome craftmanship.
- Outcome-oriented (JFDI)!
- A Dissenter! Someone who isn't afraid to break from the norm and challenge us to improve.
- A collaborator who loves to work closely with their team-mates on interesting problems.
- Ambitious and driven – someone wants to grow personally and professionally with their team and company.
Sound like you? Keep reading to learn about the nice bits about working for Gecko and how to apply…
- Competitive Salary
- MacBook & your choice of headphones
- Pension Scheme
- 28 days Holiday (plus 4 days gifted at Christmas and New Year)
- Birthday off
- Flexible working
- EMI Share Option Scheme (after qualifying length of service)
- EAP, plus employee discounts & benefits via Perkbox
- Remote working & home office setup
- Work with some of the best in the biz
- You can find out more about working with us here
If all of this excites you then you may be our next Gecko 🎉
NB. Successful applicants may be subject to complete a video-questionnaire and coding challenge as part of the recruitment process.
We can only accept applications from UK-based applicants who already have a valid right to work in the UK.
Agencies, we kindly ask that you read this Hiring Notice before getting in touch.